Medical nutrition plays an important role in the treatment of cancer patients. Good nutritional status is a prerequisite for successful treatment and optimal outcomes. A strong patient manages the often physically tough cancer treatment better and may avoid treatment delays and thereby improve chemotherapy effectiveness.
About Cancer and Cachexia
A weakened immune system and systemic inflammation are common in cancer patients. Inflammation occurs in the course of the disease. Chemotherapy itself can be exhausting for the body and contribute to inflammation and weakening of the immune system.
Approximately 30% of cancer patients have pre-cachexia or cachexia, and up to 80% of patients with advanced cancer have it. Cachexia is a disease defined as loss of muscle mass that cannot be reversed by diet alone. It is characterised by involuntary weight loss, muscle breakdown, lack of appetite and chronic nausea due to an underlying disorder like cancer. It is assumed to be the ultimate cause in up to 33% of all cancer deaths.
Smartfish medical nutrition products consist of carefully chosen ingredients aimed at addressing deficiencies that influence the underlying mechanisms of cachexia in cancer patients. The marine omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA have the ability to strengthen the immune response and have a normalizing effect on the inflammatory processes. In addition, EPA and DHA influence muscle protein synthesis, and may therefore contribute to prevent or delay muscle loss due to cachexia.
Below is a list of relevant studies. For a complete list of relevant studies for Smartfish products, visit R&D.
- A 12-week Double Blind, Placebo Controlled, Randomised Pilot Study Assessing Safety and Tolerability of Nutrifriend Cachexia in Patients Diagnosed with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) with Involuntary Weight Loss
- Body surface area-based omega-3 fatty acids supplementation strongly correlates to blood concentrations in children
- A randomised cross-over trial to compare erythrocyte membrane incorporation, acceptability and tolerability of omega-3 fatty acids in a drink carton formulation with an equivalent dose of omega-3 fatty acids in soft gelatin capsule form.
- Medulloblastoma growth inhibited by LCPUFA DHA and EPA.
- Effects of Nutrifriend (Smartfish), alone or in combination with chemotherapy, on tumour growth and cachexia in mice bearing the Lewis lung carcinoma
- Omega‐3 and omega‐3/curcumin‐enriched fruit juices decrease tumour growth and reduce muscle wasting in tumour‐bearing mice
NutriFriend®1100 is an oral nutritional supplement (1.0 kcal/ml), high in omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, with increased vitamin D content, with whey protein and fruit juices. For the dietary management of disease related malnutrition, particularly patients who may benefit from an increased intake of omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, vitamin D and energy.
Remune® is an oral nutritional supplement (1.1 kcal/ml), high in omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, with increased vitamin D content, with whey protein and fruit juices. For the dietary management of disease related malnutrition, including pre-cachexia and cachexia particularly due to COPD or lung cancer. For patients who may benefit from an increased intake of omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, vitamin D and energy.